1) Give us a brief insight into Medical as a Profession. (Some details about your journey in the medical industry/details about your area of specialisation)
Medical profession is a continuously growing industry with many career opportunities. I had done my M.B.B.S. from Rajiv Gandhi Medical College, Thane and Post Graduation in Ophthalmology from Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital Parel, Mumbai. After completing post-graduation, one year compulsory bond service. I worked in private hospital for one year and then opened my own well equipped ophthalmology hospital Krishna Eye Care.
2) What are the highly paid / secured specializations people are going for in the recent years?
In recent years, radiology is most sought after specialization. Other branches are General Medicine and Orthopedics.
3) Is an MBBS degree alone is sufficient or pursuing Masters is a must? Does a fresher start on his own after studies or work in a Hospital for few years before eventually starting on own?
Post graduation in specific medical field is often required in today’s era. Post MBBS, you can do Degree (M.D/M.S./DNB) which is of three years duration and Diploma which of two years for which you have to clear All India PG Entrance or State PGM CET .During post graduation, you get a decent stipend. You can have other options also after MBBS, like MBA in Health Management and Diploma in Clinical Research. It is better to work for few years in hospital to gain more experience and also confidence to start your own hospital.
4) Which are the countries students are opting for to pursue higher education? Do students come back to India for jobs or settle down in the foreign country? Recognition of Foreign degrees in India.
Students can also opt to go to USA, UK or Australia for post-graduation. But they have to clear USMLE, PLAB, AMC respectively .Most students settle down in foreign counties after post graduation. Foreign degrees (UG and PG) can be valid in India only after clearing exams conducted by Medical Council of India.
5) What are the additional courses that one should pursue along with the Bachelors/Masters Degree which will add value?
You can also pursue short term fellowships in foreign countries and after post-graduation in India which add value to your profile and helps in learning newer advances in specific fields.
6) What are the skills required to excel in the Industry?
Regular updation of recent advances in respective specialisation, good clinical skills and adequate surgical exposure (for surgical branches) helps in excelling today’s very competitive medical field.
7) Provide any other valuable specific information for the students who want to pursue a career in the above field.
It takes more time to settle in medical field as compared to other fields but there is no other satisfaction which can match after seeing happiness on face of your patients as you are doing noble cause of healing human being along with earning money.